Skip to main content

Five and Counting

DSC_1467

Well, it’s happened. (A few months ago, but we’re going to ignore that part.) My little girl is now 5.

She’s exasperating. She frustrates me to no end sometimes. She’s stubborn. She’s hilarious. She is so cute and so sweet.

And, most importantly, I adore her.

She definitely adds the drama to our household (her new babysitter has 5 boys, and they aren’t used to so much emotion. “She cries a lot,” one of her sons told her about Sarah. Yes, yes she does.) and while she is so much more work than my boys, she is my girl. She makes me laugh more than she makes me cry.

I can’t imagine our family without her.

Her birthday is in July, and we partied. One of her requests for her birthday was to have a cake with flowers on it. Grandma Lawrence came and, really, outdid herself for Sarah’s cake. It was fantastic. Sarah was so very happy.

DSC_1469

DSC_1471

DSC_1474

DSC_1520

DSC_1517

We partied with both sets of grandparents and she loved the fact that she was now 5. She especially loved blowing out the candles on her cake and having us sing to her.

DSC_1475

DSC_1476

DSC_1477

DSC_1479

She loves opening her presents (she’ll even give you plenty of “presents” during regular days as well), but probably her favorite was the one she got from her cousins. They gave her a little play kitchen and I don’t know how many hours she has spent over there playing with it. (Ryan likes it too.)

DSC_1556

DSC_1552

DSC_1545

DSC_1541

DSC_1502

DSC_1493

DSC_1568

DSC_1569

DSC_1560

DSC_1559

Ryan had fun with the paper.

DSC_1551

And Sarah did, too.

DSC_1511

Our cat was interested in the paper, too. Who knew it was so popular?

DSC_1506

Sarah insisted on playing with her toy pizza food (another gift from cousins) and she fell asleep with it on her lap. She’s so adorable.

IMG_1431

I love my Sarah. Happy birthday, sweet Sarah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Things Kids Do, Part 3

Jared got out the camera today when we went up to Grandma and Grandpa’s house for a little Easter dinner get-together. When Timothy saw the camera, he said, “Don’t take a picture of me!” “Why would I take a picture of you?” Jared asked him. “Because I’m cute.” ______ Sarah has discovered how to open and close the drawers to my dresser, and she knows that she isn’t supposed to get in them. The other day when I checked on her, she hurried over and grabbed two of my socks that were on the floor and promptly went over to my dresser where she put the socks back in and then tried to close the drawer. She came back and tried again and was successful. And I didn’t even have to say anything to her. She just saw me and went straight to the scene of the crime and tried to clean up the evidence. ______ Timothy loves to read, and so we let him read in bed before going to sleep at night. He’s only allowed to read until 8:30, which gives him about 45 minutes if he doesn’t ...

That Was Exciting

There is something terribly cute, and at the same time terribly sad, about a baby hospital gown. I now have first-hand experience with it, since Ryan spent a day in the hospital on Timothy’s birthday. (Nice timing, baby boy.) Last Sunday, I could tell that Ryan was getting sick. I had hoped, when I saw that Sarah was congested and a little ill, that Ryan wouldn’t catch it, but he did. At any rate, I wasn’t really worried because Sarah was hardly phased by it and I assumed it was just a mild virus. Well, the difference between 4 years and 4 months readily became apparent on Sunday night. Ryan slept half the night in his swing after getting really fussy about his stuffy nose. He slept comfortably once in his swing, so I didn’t really worry. On Monday, he was needy. It made working interesting, especially since he wouldn’t really play on his own. He spent a lot of time in my arms or in his swing. Monday night, I could tell that he was worse, but didn’t know that there was much I coul...

Something Scary

So this year, Timothy decided that he wanted to be “something scary” for Halloween. We threw out the various options, and he settled on a vampire. (“I don’t want to be a doctor again,” he told me, “because of all the doctor jokes I got last year.” Ooooookay.) He was quite pleased with the results, and enjoyed being scary. I chose to be Hermione from “Harry Potter.” (“Hermione’s hair is long ,” a 7-year-old girl down the street told me – as if this means I can’t be her – and I explained that I cut my hair earlier this year and it hadn’t had a chance to grow back yet. She was somewhat mollified, but not quite. She’s as precocious as Timothy sometimes.) But I won some movie tickets at work for my costume, made with much effort and collaboration with Janet (Thanks, Janet! And Jared made my wand, too.) This is the first year I’ve had all the elements completed (skirt, sweater, tie, scarf, robe and wand). And this is probably what I’ll be next year too. So if it looks familiar, that’s b...