If there is one thing I've learned about being married is how you have to adjust when there are two families instead of just one. In years past, we have partaken of the many Lawrence family goodies at various family holiday functions. Some treats, after trying them, I would not be fussed to have again. Others, I have instantly fallen in love with. This year I decided to venture into worlds unknown and try to make some of them myself.
One project that I tried before Christmas was to make peppermint bark. I'm not a big white chocolate fan, but the peppermint is what makes this for me. I found some white chocolate and candy canes and successfully made some before the holidays (I even shared some at a neighborhood party). Yummy!
The second one I wanted to try was peanut brittle. This was a little more daunting for me because I've never made candy of any kind before. I wasn't brave enough to try to make some without a candy thermometer like Sandy, so after my purchase of one and much pouring over of recipe instructions by Aunt Kathy, I ventured into the world of peanut brittle.
I must say that for a first attempt, and with no expert help present in my kitchen, I felt it turned out fairly well. Other than the fact that I mistook 16 oz. of peanuts to mean that it must only be 2 cups (which it would be if peanuts are liquid...), it set up well and acts and looks and tastes just like it should. It's just a little nutty, and I have no complaints about that.
And now that I've tried it, making them again will probably become one of my traditions, and that's the best part.
Wow! That looks great! I am impressed.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I'll try this again as me. Looks like you did a great job, Jared. I remember learning about candy making from my Dad as we were growing up. He would tell us about the chemical properties of sugar and crystallization and how that affected the process. I have fond memories of candy making at Christmas.
ReplyDeleteMaking peanut brittle is not easy - congratulations to success on the first try! That is something to be proud of!
ReplyDeleteMarydalene, way to go! I like making peanut brittle more than eating it. Luckily for me Jeremiah is a peanut brittle fan.
ReplyDeleteYou are right; a lot of goodies have become a part of our families Christmas traditions. The Lawrence side and the Cowles side each had goodies. We combined and added more than we dropped.
ReplyDeleteThat peanut brittle looks very good Mary. I, too, vote for extra nuts. Congratulations on your success with your first attempt.
Nice job! A noble first attempt.
ReplyDelete