My father-in-law recently gave me a macro lens. I was quite excited at the time because I’ve enjoyed macro (extreme close-up) photographs for quite some time. When he gave me the lens he warned me to be careful with it, because one of the side effects of a macro lens is extremely narrow depth of field. Well, I love a narrow depth of field photograph. I’ve since taken a few test shots with the lens, and I am even more excited than before. I now want to upgrade my lighting situation. Don’t tell Marydalene, it’s going to cost some money.
Here is a picture I took of a red rose as an example of a macro shot.
If you pay close attention, you can tell that the above picture also has a narrow depth of field. The following is a classic example of narrow depth of field. I couldn’t think of a better subject than Marydalene’s Shakespeare book.
The following picture of Sarah was also taken with the macro lens.
This picture doesn’t really take advantage of the close focus capabilities of the macro lens, but it really demonstrates the advantage of the narrow depth of field. For instance it is very easy to focus on Sarah because the toys and large stack of Calvin and Hobbes books in the upper left are so out of focus as to be unrecognizable.
I’m very eager to do more playing around with my new toy.
Looks like you will have lots of fun with that macro lens. I really like the picture of the rose and it is a delightful picture of Sarah.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's cool! Can you play with it and Austin? I never knew about the macro lens before. I always wondered why I couldn't get a good extreme close up.
ReplyDeleteJulie, I'd be happy to. Give me a call and we'll work out the details.
ReplyDeleteThat is cool. I like the rose picture.
ReplyDelete