Skip to main content

I’m a Published Author …

Well, sort of. It’s my own book and I’m the one who paid to have it published, but it’s still a book and it’s still got my name on it (as well as Jared and Timothy). And it’s rare too; only three copies in print. :)

Jared’s cousin Heidi was the first one to do it, but I took inspiration from her experience with Blurb and decided to give it a go myself. In April, I took our blog posts from late 2007 and all of 2008 and formatted them into a book using Blurb’s software. It took me a couple of weeks hard effort to get it all formatted the way I wanted. Not to toot my own horn, but I’m rather pleased with how it turned out. (Being a designer, sometimes the template-only option got on my nerves. The software is made for someone who doesn’t really know what they’re doing to let them get a good product. I do know what I’m doing, but I got over the limitations and just worked with what I had.) I’m happy that I have a more permanent version of our blog, since it is functioning as a type of journal for our family. I also made a DVD to go with the book that included all of the little video clips we’ve put on our blog. Such fun memories. It is something that I’ll certainly treasure in years to come.

Comments

  1. It looks fantastic!! What an accomplishment. Congratulations. It is often really good to go back and see what happened in the recent past and how life has progressed and changed in that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Mary. I've been wanting to do one too since I saw our cousin Andrea's. Some day I'll get around to it... maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea. I like the cover. I also loved Timothy's crazy hair and agree with your opinion of the part making it look crazy and not just stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea to include a DVD! I was wondering what to do about video clips when I make mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a priviledged owner of the book - it is beautiful and much appreciated. Mary REALLY did a wonderful job putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll enjoy it forever! And generations to come will enjoy it too. I love the beautiful iris picture on the cover. It makes me want to go to a gardening catalog and look for iris to plant late this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've thought about doing this for our family blog. It would probably be more meaningful if I posted more often. Good for you for following through and doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Things Kids Do, Part 3

Jared got out the camera today when we went up to Grandma and Grandpa’s house for a little Easter dinner get-together. When Timothy saw the camera, he said, “Don’t take a picture of me!” “Why would I take a picture of you?” Jared asked him. “Because I’m cute.” ______ Sarah has discovered how to open and close the drawers to my dresser, and she knows that she isn’t supposed to get in them. The other day when I checked on her, she hurried over and grabbed two of my socks that were on the floor and promptly went over to my dresser where she put the socks back in and then tried to close the drawer. She came back and tried again and was successful. And I didn’t even have to say anything to her. She just saw me and went straight to the scene of the crime and tried to clean up the evidence. ______ Timothy loves to read, and so we let him read in bed before going to sleep at night. He’s only allowed to read until 8:30, which gives him about 45 minutes if he doesn’t ...

That Was Exciting

There is something terribly cute, and at the same time terribly sad, about a baby hospital gown. I now have first-hand experience with it, since Ryan spent a day in the hospital on Timothy’s birthday. (Nice timing, baby boy.) Last Sunday, I could tell that Ryan was getting sick. I had hoped, when I saw that Sarah was congested and a little ill, that Ryan wouldn’t catch it, but he did. At any rate, I wasn’t really worried because Sarah was hardly phased by it and I assumed it was just a mild virus. Well, the difference between 4 years and 4 months readily became apparent on Sunday night. Ryan slept half the night in his swing after getting really fussy about his stuffy nose. He slept comfortably once in his swing, so I didn’t really worry. On Monday, he was needy. It made working interesting, especially since he wouldn’t really play on his own. He spent a lot of time in my arms or in his swing. Monday night, I could tell that he was worse, but didn’t know that there was much I coul...

Something Scary

So this year, Timothy decided that he wanted to be “something scary” for Halloween. We threw out the various options, and he settled on a vampire. (“I don’t want to be a doctor again,” he told me, “because of all the doctor jokes I got last year.” Ooooookay.) He was quite pleased with the results, and enjoyed being scary. I chose to be Hermione from “Harry Potter.” (“Hermione’s hair is long ,” a 7-year-old girl down the street told me – as if this means I can’t be her – and I explained that I cut my hair earlier this year and it hadn’t had a chance to grow back yet. She was somewhat mollified, but not quite. She’s as precocious as Timothy sometimes.) But I won some movie tickets at work for my costume, made with much effort and collaboration with Janet (Thanks, Janet! And Jared made my wand, too.) This is the first year I’ve had all the elements completed (skirt, sweater, tie, scarf, robe and wand). And this is probably what I’ll be next year too. So if it looks familiar, that’s b...