I realize that life doesn’t always go as planned, but sometimes we just get into these patterns that we come to expect as dependable. I should have learned by now that some things will never go as part of the plan.
Last Thursday, the plan was for my daughter to sleep in until 8 or 8:30 like she normally does, not wake me up at 7:15 a.m. When that didn’t happen, the plan was for her to take a nap so that I could take a nap to prevent the walking zombie I would become at work that night if I didn’t get more sleep. It didn’t happen, at least not the way I wanted. After nearly 2 hours of fussing and playing in her crib (with hourly checks by me, including the changing of one stinky diaper), I gave up on the nap and resigned myself to be the zombie. But the baby, well, she still needed a nap. That HAD to be part of the plan.
After the diaper change, the plan was for her to finally go to sleep while I got ready for work. I heard her playing, but figured she’d fall asleep soon enough. Not part of the plan was what I found after my shower.
Yes, that is almost an entire box of tissues strewn about her bed and floor. And if you look closely, you can see the bag of diaper wipes underneath her stomach and hips that she also managed to grab and get into (it was nearly empty, thanks to her efforts). In Sarah’s defense, I’m the one who left them within her grasp on top of her dresser. But in my defense, I was a little bit of a walking zombie.
Because the plan was for her to take a much needed nap, I let her sleep. She slept until it was past time for her to wake up so that we could go pick up her brother. I was loath to wake her up, so we were a bit late getting Timothy from school, and hence I was a bit late getting to work.
Also not part of the plan? The half-gallon of Toasted Almond Fudge ice cream I picked up on my way home from work. Some days you just have to deviate from the plan.
Ice cream is always a good deviation!
ReplyDeleteI love how Sarah staring at you wondering why you aren't picking her up... Ice cream is always part of the plan!
ReplyDeleteAmen to deviation. That ice cream looks yummy!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Tawnie...Ice cream should always be part of the plan :)
ReplyDeleteLove it, and I can relate. Aunt Lynda
ReplyDelete