I'm not sure what to do with her. She's just so prone to hurting herself that I don't know how to prevent it. (Remember this? Yeah, she still has a scar from that. And that isn't the only time she's hurt herself.)
One week ago, I was making dinner in the kitchen and Jared was feeding Ryan some cereal in his high chair. We heard this thunk, thump and then nothing. Jared went to find Sarah and found her behind our couch, not moving.
She started to whimper as Jared reached her and started to cry after he picked her up and moved her to our rocking chair. We found a cut on her inner lip and figured that was the extent of her injuries until we found the bump on the back of her head.
We THINK she somehow rebounded off of our couch and hit the back of her head on our windowsill. (It's made of that ceramic tile stuff that all late 1970s houses are made of.) She fell asleep in Jared's arms, but I wasn't too worried (it was a stressful ordeal after all) until when she woke up and promptly threw up. After consulting with a relative nurse (thanks sister!), we decided she needed to be seen by a doctor.
So off to the Instacare we went (I had to wake her up again, which I was sad about). It was kind of a bit of a waste of time at the Instacare because I forgot they don't have the imaging equipment necessary to evaluate a possible concussion. They recommended we go to a nearby hospital for evaluation.
The E.R. doctor is fairly certain she gave herself a concussion, albeit a relatively mild one. We discussed giving her a CAT scan, but the likelihood that she would have serious bleeding would be less than 2 percent, and the likelihood that doctors would actually do anything about that bleeding was an even smaller percentage. The other factor that weighed against it was that she could remember a recent event (Christmas gifts) and was acting like herself again and was looking quite a bit better.
The picture above is after we returned home from the hospital. One of the things they do in the E.R. these days is give everyone a wrist tag. Sarah was unimpressed. (I can't say I blame her, they put it on kind of weird and it cut into her wrist.)
She complained about her head hurting the next day (and I gave her some children's Motrin to help), but after that first day it was hard to hold her back. I'm glad she's feeling better, but I'd really rather she didn't hurt herself in the first place.
Comments
Post a Comment