This afternoon Timothy announced that he was going to write a silly story. He went into the kitchen and commenced. Not far into it he asked, "Daddy, how do you spell 'made'?"
We discussed whether he meant "made" or "maid" and I gave him the spelling.
Just a few seconds later he said, "Daddy, how do you spell 'humongous'?"
Marydalene and I both cracked up laughing immediately.
I realize that this is probably one of those you-had-to-be-there moments, but I was there and I want to remember it years down the road.
If your curious what his silly story was, I'll quote it below. Keep in mind that this filled an entire page in multicolor crayon. Timothy also felt no obligation to adhere to a regular left to right, top to bottom writing style. In fact, when he wrote from right to left (across the middle of the page, but near the end of the story) he also wrote the letters of each word from right to left.
"One day Jake made a humongous sandwich and put the whole thing in his mouth and said, 'yummy.'"
We discussed whether he meant "made" or "maid" and I gave him the spelling.
Just a few seconds later he said, "Daddy, how do you spell 'humongous'?"
Marydalene and I both cracked up laughing immediately.
I realize that this is probably one of those you-had-to-be-there moments, but I was there and I want to remember it years down the road.
If your curious what his silly story was, I'll quote it below. Keep in mind that this filled an entire page in multicolor crayon. Timothy also felt no obligation to adhere to a regular left to right, top to bottom writing style. In fact, when he wrote from right to left (across the middle of the page, but near the end of the story) he also wrote the letters of each word from right to left.
"One day Jake made a humongous sandwich and put the whole thing in his mouth and said, 'yummy.'"
What a treasured memory! I can just picture it in my mind. After all what 5 year old asks how to spell humongous. And a writer unhampered by society's norms. I love it!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to fail miserably when Ty starts playing the how do you spell game... Spell check was invented for me!
ReplyDeleteYou should keep these samples of his early writing. It is fun to chronicle their writing progress. Usually, around the end of kindergarten or first grade, depending on how much writing teachers do with them, they start to pick up on the conventions of writing. Praise his early efforts to encourage his creative genius :)
ReplyDelete