Skip to main content

And Now, the Rest of the Story

I've slept, I've eaten, I'm less agitated now.

Yesterday morning Marydalene woke me up at about 5:30 AM complaining of constant pain in her back and lower abdomen. We figured out that it was labor pains, and she was able to identify spikes in the pain. We started timing and they were coming roughly 5 minutes apart. A couple of hours of this and we decided to go to the hospital. We got there at about 9:30. She was dilated to a 4 or 4.5. A couple of hours later, she hadn't made any real progress, so her doctor decided to giver her something for the pain and send her home.

About 3:00 Mary decided that she was in enough pain that she needed to call her doctor and see what she could do. He told her that she should probably go to the doctor and get checked. We were debating how quickly to go to the hospital, because we didn't want to take the "walk of shame" again. She hadn't really had any classic contractions, it was just more of the steady pain. At 3:30 Mary's water broke, and that ended our debate. After dropping Timothy off at a neighbor/friend we got to the hospital at around 4:00 and had a baby at 4:25. Yep, that's quick. It was so fast that Marydalene was not able to have an epidural. I felt awful for her, because it obviously was terrible pain. One of the benefits of it being so fast though is that she didn't have to feel that pain for very long. It was also too fast for the doctor to get there, so Sarah was delivered by the nurses.

Another benefit of the quick labor is that Sarah spent so little time in the birth canal that she didn't get cone-headed. She almost looks like a cesarean baby. However, the stress of the fast birth was not good for poor little Sarah. She was not breathing at birth, and it took the nurses a lot of effort to get her going. They were able to get her started, but they did need to call in the respiratory team.

They brought her to the nursery and then she had another little struggle breathing. The nurses called in the respiratory therapist again and they were able to get her back. Since then she has been doing okay. She has been placed into the well-baby nursery.

Marydalene has not been able to feed her yet. Due to the stresses Sarah endured during delivery the doctor felt it was better to not feed her at least until morning as she would not likely be able to digest anything yet. She is on a maintenance IV until the doctor clears her to eat.

I think that is the story as it now stands if you have any questions feel free to put them in the comments and I'll update the post with answers.

I am posting this picture even though it's not a very good picture since it was not properly exposed. I do shoot in RAW so I was able to get it close. I decided to post it so that you could get a bit of an idea of her hair situation. She has a fair amount of hair, but it is blonde and difficult to see, especially since the picture was not properly exposed.

Comments

  1. Congrats!! That's quite the picture--the one on this post. The other one is really cute as well. She looks well filled out and healthy. I'm glad they were able to resolve her breathing issues. Technology is so great--allowing us to see a baby when she is only hours old. I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is one chubby little girl. She has lots of blonde fuzz. Glad things have settled down. Looking forward to actually being there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Jared and Mary!! That was quite the experience! I'm glad she didn't have to stay in the nicu. I just want you to know that Leslie was born with almost black hair and lots of it. You would never guess that now. Congratulations and best wishes for your new little one. Aunt Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness she's here and will be ok! I get SO frustrated with hospitals when it comes to labor, I don't feel like they take us women seriously enough. I hope that Mary is feeling well. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor baby and poor momma. I would freak if the hospital sent me home when I was that dilated. I'm glad you made it to the hospital in time. Hope things continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Things Kids Do, Part 3

Jared got out the camera today when we went up to Grandma and Grandpa’s house for a little Easter dinner get-together. When Timothy saw the camera, he said, “Don’t take a picture of me!” “Why would I take a picture of you?” Jared asked him. “Because I’m cute.” ______ Sarah has discovered how to open and close the drawers to my dresser, and she knows that she isn’t supposed to get in them. The other day when I checked on her, she hurried over and grabbed two of my socks that were on the floor and promptly went over to my dresser where she put the socks back in and then tried to close the drawer. She came back and tried again and was successful. And I didn’t even have to say anything to her. She just saw me and went straight to the scene of the crime and tried to clean up the evidence. ______ Timothy loves to read, and so we let him read in bed before going to sleep at night. He’s only allowed to read until 8:30, which gives him about 45 minutes if he doesn’t ...

That Was Exciting

There is something terribly cute, and at the same time terribly sad, about a baby hospital gown. I now have first-hand experience with it, since Ryan spent a day in the hospital on Timothy’s birthday. (Nice timing, baby boy.) Last Sunday, I could tell that Ryan was getting sick. I had hoped, when I saw that Sarah was congested and a little ill, that Ryan wouldn’t catch it, but he did. At any rate, I wasn’t really worried because Sarah was hardly phased by it and I assumed it was just a mild virus. Well, the difference between 4 years and 4 months readily became apparent on Sunday night. Ryan slept half the night in his swing after getting really fussy about his stuffy nose. He slept comfortably once in his swing, so I didn’t really worry. On Monday, he was needy. It made working interesting, especially since he wouldn’t really play on his own. He spent a lot of time in my arms or in his swing. Monday night, I could tell that he was worse, but didn’t know that there was much I coul...

Something Scary

So this year, Timothy decided that he wanted to be “something scary” for Halloween. We threw out the various options, and he settled on a vampire. (“I don’t want to be a doctor again,” he told me, “because of all the doctor jokes I got last year.” Ooooookay.) He was quite pleased with the results, and enjoyed being scary. I chose to be Hermione from “Harry Potter.” (“Hermione’s hair is long ,” a 7-year-old girl down the street told me – as if this means I can’t be her – and I explained that I cut my hair earlier this year and it hadn’t had a chance to grow back yet. She was somewhat mollified, but not quite. She’s as precocious as Timothy sometimes.) But I won some movie tickets at work for my costume, made with much effort and collaboration with Janet (Thanks, Janet! And Jared made my wand, too.) This is the first year I’ve had all the elements completed (skirt, sweater, tie, scarf, robe and wand). And this is probably what I’ll be next year too. So if it looks familiar, that’s b...