I feel like I should add my two cents to the newest addition to our family. And although Sarah was surprised to join our family so suddenly, I think I'm more in shock that I had a baby on my own -- and early to boot. Never thought that would happen to me (especially since I was induced with Timothy).
Photo by David Wilson
I'm happy to say that Sarah was released from the hospital and came home with us on Friday. And while that means that I'm not getting very much sleep these days, it's also worth it to finally have her with us. I was a little distraught, to say the least, to be discharged from the hospital and have to leave my little girl in the Special Care Nursery. But she's home and is doing well with no signs of the problems that put her in the nursery to begin with.
This sad little picture shows her many IVs while she was in the Special Care Nursery. The IVs were for the antibiotics she was on as well as the sugar solution they put her on to keep her sugar levels up while she recovered from her stressful delivery. They ran out of places to put one, hence the one in her head.
I tried to see the positive side of the situation, and one of those is that Sarah is much better at sleeping in her bassinet and on her own at this early age than Timothy ever was. But she still loves to cuddle, and always sleeps better while being held (which is a good bonus when I want to hold her). But it means that I can take a shower and put her down and not worry that she'll be screaming by the time I get out. The other positive side was that I didn't have to change any of her sticky diapers while she was pooping out the meconium in her system. In fact, I didn't change one of her diapers until she was 5 days old. There's always a silver lining, right? And as you can see, she's doing well at home. She's my little cutie, and is already my favorite daughter. :)
Thanks for all your expressions of love and support. And now, after about 5 years of waiting, we are a family of four. Yea!
Nice to hear from you, Marydalene. Sarah is so cute. I am anxious to meet her. She looks great after that sudden, startling entry into mortality. Aunt Lynda
ReplyDeleteThanks for keeping us posted. I'll see you in a few days!
ReplyDeleteGood to hear from you Mary, and your little one looks darling in her little polka-dot dress. I'm sure you'll enjoy having a girl. Goo to hear that you're both doing well. Hope to see you soon.
ReplyDelete