I will be the first to admit that I’m not the best parent in the world. I try, certainly, but I’m subject to all the frailties that most of us suffer.
Sarah and I had just returned from her pediatrician’s office after her 18-month well-baby checkup. She’s healthy and growing – 24.9 pounds (60th percentile), 32.5 inches tall (75th) and her head is 19.5 cm (98th – yes, large heads run in the family) – but isn’t walking yet. To make a long story short, he requested she have an MRI and go see a neurologist at Primary Children’s. (More on that later.)
So, yes, I was a little preoccupied. I was on the phone making arrangements for these procedures and not paying super close attention to my baby girl. I also was thinking of the things I need to do today, like making a quick run to Target to get cat food before Timothy got home from school.
If I’d been paying attention to my needy baby, I would have realized that a trip to Target probably wasn’t the best idea. But, preoccupied self that I was, I went anyway. I turned around to see this:
This, by the way, is a VERY rare occurrence for Sarah. She just doesn’t sleep in the car unless she’s exhausted.
So, trying to make up for the lack of being a good mom before, I tried to be good. I turned around and went home, not even stepping foot out of my car. I thought, well, if she’s tired, I should let her sleep. I can get cat food later.
I came home and wasn’t successful getting her out of her car seat without waking her. But I thought that if she’d fallen asleep in the car, I should let her try to go back to sleep in her crib. This is what I found an hour later.
I give up. Although, I must admit it’s hard to be too upset with myself since she’s always so happy to see me. Love you too, baby doll.
What a very precious smile.
ReplyDeleteOh, Mary, that sounds so serious. She looks so normal and happy and I can't believe you have to do these tests. Poor girl. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteShe is a darling. I can't help but smile back.
ReplyDeleteI used to try to leave my babies asleep in the car (in the garage) if it wasn't too hot or something, but they just wake up--and once awake, game's over. I trust things will go well with the developmental issues. And don't think you aren't a great parent--you and Jared are just great! Aunt Lynda
ReplyDeleteShe sure looks peaceful and cute asleep in her car seat. Once my kids get a power nap, there is no chance of nap later. I hope all goes well with her testing. Take care and you both are excellent parents!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Sarah, when you are exhausted it's just time for a nap wherever you are!
ReplyDelete