We have been working with Sarah for the last six months or so to get her to walk, since she was a little behind on the gross motor skills for her age. The problem, I think, is that Sarah is pretty happy to maintain the status quo. She sees no reason to change unless there’s a proper reason. (Case in point: She didn’t start to crawl until she discovered for herself that crawling was much faster than Army crawling.)
So once we mastered crawling, we moved on to cruising along furniture and across gaps. She mastered that about three months ago, which is when we kind of hit a plateau. The next step was to get her to stand unassisted. This is where it got tricky. We could only use a method to trick her into standing alone once or twice before she caught on and refused to do it again.
We’ve gotten her to walk between Jared and myself on a few occasions, but she didn’t seem too interested in venturing out on her own.
On Friday, I broke out the video camera because I wanted to capture Sarah in the epitome of stubbornness. She’ll “walk” around on her knees when her hands are full if it isn’t convenient to scoot them along the floor. (Apparently, this is what one of my sisters did as well before she learned to walk. It must run in the family.)
Shortly after this (and no, I didn’t get it on video much to my chagrin), she scooted along the couch and then pushed off and took the three or four steps to Jared. All on her own. There’s hope! Yea for Sarah!
See! It runs in the family... I am not alone!
ReplyDeleteThat is too funny. They each come with their own agenda for things, don't they?
ReplyDeleteShe'll do it her way. Her daddy's motivation to walk was the family applauding (literally) his every effort. Jenny remembers clapping for him.
ReplyDelete