I’ve been enjoying my summer of running. In April, I completed my first half-marathon. I ran my second in June.
In August, I completed the Hobble Creek Half.
I was pretty happy with my performance, although I did have to walk some of this race. I had a few injuries in July and so wasn’t as ready to run it as I wanted to be. Plus I started out too fast (hazard of running down a canyon), and so was a little wiped at the end of the race. But I finished in 2:27:45 (a little shy of 5 minutes away from my best time). I was 156 out of 184 in my age group, and 946 out of 1074 overall. I ran an 11:26 split.
I don’t feel bad about my placing, since this race seems to draw a lot of professional runners. I think you had to go down 150 places or so before you got out of runners that had greater than 7 minute miles. It was an interesting race, and very beautiful to run down the canyon.
I also ran the Spanish Fork Half at the beginning of September. I did much better on that race. I was surprised at how relatively flat the course was. For some reason, I expected more hills, but it was a fun, if smaller (in the number of competitors), half marathon.
I came very close to beating my best time (2:23:00) with a time of 2:24:53. I wonder if I’d known how close I was if I could have kicked it in a notch? Ah well. I finished 26 out of 32 in my age group and 177 out of 221 overall. I ran an 11:04 split.
One thing that kind of surprised me about this race was how often I was “alone” while on the trail. There were people 100 yards or 200 yards in front or behind me, but I often wasn’t running with people that close to me. Upon reflection, it makes sense because there were only 221 half runners. But it was a unique race because I didn’t have that experience in any of my other races. My favorite part of this race was when we ran along the Spanish Fork river trail. I wish we could have run more of it, but as I understand, it is still under construction. It reminded me of my runs up the canyon near my home.
With this fourth half marathon, I completed my Run the Slam.
So, you could say, the circle is now complete. I ran 52.8 miles for these races this summer, and I’m an official Slammer. I haven’t decided if I will run any or all of them next year (but I am leaning toward at least the Thanksgiving Point and the Utah Valley because they were my favorites), but I am so happy I set a goal to run them and achieved it. Now the next step? Improve my time so I can run one in less than 2 hours. After that, I think I may tackle my first full marathon, which is a long-term goal.
Yes, I may be crazy. But in the little more than a year since I began running, I have found a peace that comes from the steady rhythm of hearing my feet hit the ground. The challenge of enduring 13.1 miles of continual running. How much better I feel after knocking out a run in the morning. It’s safe to say that I’m a runner. And I love it.
Wow, you've really stuck with it. Your medals are pretty, and it's neat to see them all together in the circle. Good luck with your upcoming goals.
ReplyDeleteWay to go!! That is quite the feat, and it's wonderful that you enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteGood for you Mary. That represents a lot of commitment and effort on your part. I have every confidence you will get to your time goal and be prepared for the Marathon when the time comes.
ReplyDelete