A complicated story that you really don’t care about resulted in my knowing in September that I was going to need to wear a pair of slacks in October that were just too tight. Not too tight for comfort, too tight for decency. I really didn’t want to buy a new pair of slacks, and all of my jeans were getting a bit tight also. It was time to lose some weight.
I started by drastically cutting the sugars in my diet. A main culprit was my daily toaster pastry for breakfast. I also looked for other sugars and reduced them. By the time I needed them, my slacks were decent – not comfortable, yet, but at least decent.
I didn’t want to just put the weight back on, so I kept up with my more restrictive diet and had much less candy than usual through Halloween and Christmas. By January I had lost about 13 pounds through just my change in diet, but I was at a plateau. I wanted to lose another ten pounds, and I knew I really ought to be in better shape.
I cast around for a few weeks looking for some kind of exercise that I could enjoy. I came up with nothing. Marydalene enjoys running so I decided that I may as well do that. I found a Couch-to-5K app for my phone and began the program. It was January and cold outside, so I used that as an excuse to run on the treadmill. The truth is that I didn’t want to run outside where people could see that I couldn’t run more than a few yards without collapsing.
After a few weeks I realized that I could actually get to the point where I could run for three miles if I worked at it. To keep myself motivated I signed up for the Rex Lee Run. I looked like an idiot. . .
. . .but I was able to run the whole thing. I continued to run. . .. . .and continued to look like an idiot. It took a few months, but I began to lose weight again.
Finally, on June 2nd, I reached the goal I had set for myself.
The CDC thinks that I should lose another five pounds, but I’m not going to stress over it.
The irony is that I began this journey because I didn’t want to have to buy new pants. I’ve now lost enough weight that if I lose any more I’ll probably need to buy some jeans because they’ll have gotten too loose.
Awesome! Congrats on achieving your weight lose goal, and running! Aghh. I applaud your self-discipline and commitment!
ReplyDeleteMore fun to buy new pants in a smaller size than a bigger size - if fun is to be had. Congratulations on the self-discipline.
ReplyDeleteActually the previous comment was from Grammyzanne. My computer doesn't have internet access. R suspects bad card.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on reaching your goals. I actually read the first couple of paragraphs to my husband because he does the same thing. "My pants are too tight...no more desserts for a while." And it mostly works for him too. I think neither of us actually get to the point of also including some serious exercise so I applaud you for that for sure!
ReplyDelete