You may have already heard that we had one of the wettest, coolest August months on record. So, it made for some interesting days in which we didn’t know if it would be a nice day for a bike ride or ... something else.
On this August afternoon, early in the month, I had promised Sarah that I would take her out to ride her bike. The clouds were kind of looming, but they had been for most of the day, so we went out anyway. We got about a quarter of the way down our street when the sprinkles started. Sarah and I consulted and we agreed to go on. At about half way down our street, the rain changed. It quickly started getting to be bigger and fatter drops.
“Uh oh,” was Sarah’s initial response. Now she wanted to turn around, so we did. But in the space of about a minute, it went from kind of raining to full on torrential downpour. (Summer rainstorms are rather unpredictable.) And that’s when everyone in the neighborhood could hear my daughter’s wails and sobs. Seriously, I wasn’t torturing her. I kept repeating that all it would take was for her to pedal faster and she would get home sooner.
Well, we arrived soaking wet. Jared heard Sarah coming and came to open the garage for us.
And then, that’s when Ryan saw the rain. And the puddles. And he wanted TO PLAY!
And so Timothy took him out to play in the rain.
Sarah saw her brothers having fun, and thought maybe getting rained on wasn’t so bad after all. So, she went out and played, too. (A stark 180 from her sobbing self on the bike.) She is so silly sometimes.
Jared got some fun shots of them running around.
And this is the grin of a little boy who is having a lot of fun.
Sarah, too.
And this is one of my favorite sequences; photo number 2 of this group is one of my most favorite candid pictures ever. (It’s the lock screen of my phone right now.)
My kids have mentioned this day (“Remember when we played in the rain?”) and have asked to play again in the rain. I guess we did something right.


















I remember when we used to play in the rain as kids. So fun! And super adorable pictures.
ReplyDelete