I’ll preface this by saying that this happened at the beginning of September. (But it resembles my life today with some similarities, but more on that later.)
Jared and Timothy were at the church to get Timothy a special temple recommend so that he could attend the Ogden Temple rededication, and so I was home solo with the two younger kids. No problem, especially since Sarah and Ryan were happily playing in their room. There was much giggling and happiness coming from their direction, so I felt safe being in the kitchen finishing up dinner in peace.
And then I heard a thunk, followed immediately thereafter by a cry of the “I’m really hurt” persuasion. I came in to investigate and Sarah immediately tells me that there is blood on Ryan. I see a little speck on his arm and think this can’t possibly be the reason he was crying, and while looking him over for what could have caused it, find out from Sarah that Ryan had fallen off of her bed and hit his head.
And that’s when I found his head wound.
And the blood on the floor and her bed.
In cleaning Ryan up, I texted the photo to Jared to ask him how long he was going to be so that 1) I wouldn’t burn dinner 2) I could get Ryan cleaned up and 3) I could get the blood off of the floor and Sarah’s sheets. Jared couldn’t figure out why I was sending him a random picture of Ryan’s head (he couldn’t see the blood in the sunlight on the walk home). He was a little surprised to see all the blood on Ryan’s head when he got home. (Communication fail.)
At any rate, it stopped bleeding easily enough, and looking at it we decided he didn’t need stitches, thankfully, so we didn’t need to go to the ER. We think he hit his head on the corner of his dresser, which is near Sarah’s bed. This is the morning after photo of his scalp.
His head was tender for a few days, but he is just fine. I can see a little spot on his head where the scab was and where there isn’t as much hair, but that is all that remains.
Thinking that was enough excitement for one day, we sent the kids off to bed only to have Sarah have a minor freakout at about 10:30, after she had been asleep for about 2 hours. She had a pretty light cough all day, and I didn’t think much of it. But it got worse very quickly, and she didn’t understand what was happening. Jared heard her half-sobbing, half-gasping for breath just inside her door. It was a pretty serious case of croup, and so off to the ER we went. Even when we got her calmed down I could hear every breath that she took. Sigh. So much for dodging bullets.
I must say, she was a pretty good little patient while we were there. The doctor was fast, and they all agreed with me within a minute of hearing her that she had croup. (That’s all that is good about it, I suppose, is it’s distinctive cough.) She and I were drawing snowmen on a little drawing board they had in the room when the doctor came in. He asked Sarah, “Do you want to draw a snowman?” (a slightly modified version of the song from “Frozen”) to which Sarah immediately and seriously replied, “It’s ‘Do you want to BUILD a snowman’.” The ER doctor apologized profusely. Her tone clearly said he was not that smart if he didn’t know the real words. It was hilarious.
The treatments were fast and effective, which was great. Just expensive. Sigh.
Sarah still talks about the hospital when she sees it during one of our many trips around the town as “the place where you took me when I got really sick.” Apparently she had such a good experience that she wants to go back. (Um, no thanks, please.) Especially today when she came down with croup AGAIN. I’m so done with croup this year. This is our family’s third case in three months (Ryan had it earlier this month, and had to go to the ER despite our best efforts to not have to take him). I’m so over croup. But fortunately, we seem to have been able to avoid the ER today, with lots of humidifiers and raised beds to help breathing. Silver linings.




Comments
Post a Comment