Skip to main content

It Runs in the Family

I’m fairly klutzy. I have been for most of my life, and even though I try to be careful things happen. So, it should be no surprise that my kids also suffer my fate.

The day started out normally enough. We decided to take our kiddos to the zoo on the last week before school starts, kind of as a last hurrah of something fun to do as a family since we didn’t go on a family vacation this summer. (Lack of planning on our part.)

DSC_1161

You know, this zoo. One that we could do in a half day or so and then take them out to lunch. Spend some quality family time and all that.

We started out with a train ride, which Ryan and Sarah loved. Timothy was a bit … loopy. He was a good sport about the whole zoo trip, even though it wasn’t very exciting for him.

DSC_1035

DSC_1031

DSC_1038

DSC_1040

DSC_1047

One of the fun things about this zoo trip was the Zoo-rasic park that they were doing. Throughout the zoo they had several dinosaurs (some animatronic, some not; one set sprayed water, several had sounds that played with them) of various kinds. It was actually kind of fun to look for them all and to see them.

DSC_1053

DSC_1077

DSC_1080

DSC_1098

DSC_1112

DSC_1114

DSC_1125

DSC_1127

DSC_1149

DSC_1156

My kids (big and small) all have fun playing with the big world that is by the entrance.

DSC_1056

DSC_1060

DSC_1063

DSC_1067

We also saw some real animals.

DSC_1042

DSC_1074

DSC_1119

DSC_1120

I didn’t take too many pictures of the animals because I was there mostly for my kids. Sarah and Ryan had a lot of fun seeing all the different animals. And drinking in the lion drinking fountain.

DSC_1081

DSC_1083

I will love this picture forever, because it is one of the last smiles we have of Ryan before his klutzy gene reared its head.

DSC_1086

DSC_1089

One of the dinosaurs sprayed water. Sarah and Ryan had a lot of fun playing in the water as it sprayed.

DSC_1095

DSC_1096

Right after we were done with the spraying dinosaurs, it happened. Right here.

DSC_1111

Looks pretty innocent, right? Well, Ryan was taking the corner to look at a chicken that was in the grass, and he tripped. Normally we just brush him off and he’s good to go, but he fell all wrong. He ended up with his hands pinned his hands underneath him, and pretty much did a face-plant.

He knocked out one of his front teeth completely. We rushed up to the first aid office, where the EMTs helped us get the bleeding stopped and gave us some ice for the swelling. They were really nice and helpful. (They couldn’t believe he was only 3. They thought he was older because of his size.)

And this is where Ryan is just totally a good-natured kid. During the icing process Ryan made it into a game, where he was kissing the ice. This was taken about 10 minutes after it happened. Back to his happy little self. And he didn’t want to leave the zoo. We decided to stay after calling our dentist, who said he could see him that day, but later in the afternoon.

DSC_1100

After the accident, we restrained him pretty much to the stroller. Sorry, kiddo.

DSC_1113

Here he is, kissing his ice again. Such a silly goose.

DSC_1122

And my awesome eldest son. Love him.

DSC_1123

DSC_1146

On the day that we went, there were many different people throughout the part working on the trees. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what they were doing until we passed one of their utility carts. Then, it all became very clear.

DSC_1158

Yep, Christmas lights. Being put up in August. Go zoo.

Timothy was the only one willing to pose near the gorilla sign.

DSC_1159

They loved the carousel.

DSC_1129

DSC_1130

DSC_1137

DSC_1138

Even my silly eldest son.

DSC_1131

DSC_1134

Here he is, my toothless son.

DSC_1105

It seems only appropriate that my youngest lost a tooth when he was three. I should be thankful that he only knocked out one. After all, I managed to knock out both of my front teeth when I was his age. This is me just before my fourth birthday.

Marydalene3yearold

And lest you think I didn’t inherit this trend, I give you my mom, when she was about to enter kindergarten. (This is the earliest photo she has of herself, but she assures me that she was also three when it happened.)

MomKindergarten

I guess you could say it was just destiny. Or a really klutzy family. At least I come by it honestly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Things Kids Do, Part 3

Jared got out the camera today when we went up to Grandma and Grandpa’s house for a little Easter dinner get-together. When Timothy saw the camera, he said, “Don’t take a picture of me!” “Why would I take a picture of you?” Jared asked him. “Because I’m cute.” ______ Sarah has discovered how to open and close the drawers to my dresser, and she knows that she isn’t supposed to get in them. The other day when I checked on her, she hurried over and grabbed two of my socks that were on the floor and promptly went over to my dresser where she put the socks back in and then tried to close the drawer. She came back and tried again and was successful. And I didn’t even have to say anything to her. She just saw me and went straight to the scene of the crime and tried to clean up the evidence. ______ Timothy loves to read, and so we let him read in bed before going to sleep at night. He’s only allowed to read until 8:30, which gives him about 45 minutes if he doesn’t ...

That Was Exciting

There is something terribly cute, and at the same time terribly sad, about a baby hospital gown. I now have first-hand experience with it, since Ryan spent a day in the hospital on Timothy’s birthday. (Nice timing, baby boy.) Last Sunday, I could tell that Ryan was getting sick. I had hoped, when I saw that Sarah was congested and a little ill, that Ryan wouldn’t catch it, but he did. At any rate, I wasn’t really worried because Sarah was hardly phased by it and I assumed it was just a mild virus. Well, the difference between 4 years and 4 months readily became apparent on Sunday night. Ryan slept half the night in his swing after getting really fussy about his stuffy nose. He slept comfortably once in his swing, so I didn’t really worry. On Monday, he was needy. It made working interesting, especially since he wouldn’t really play on his own. He spent a lot of time in my arms or in his swing. Monday night, I could tell that he was worse, but didn’t know that there was much I coul...

Something Scary

So this year, Timothy decided that he wanted to be “something scary” for Halloween. We threw out the various options, and he settled on a vampire. (“I don’t want to be a doctor again,” he told me, “because of all the doctor jokes I got last year.” Ooooookay.) He was quite pleased with the results, and enjoyed being scary. I chose to be Hermione from “Harry Potter.” (“Hermione’s hair is long ,” a 7-year-old girl down the street told me – as if this means I can’t be her – and I explained that I cut my hair earlier this year and it hadn’t had a chance to grow back yet. She was somewhat mollified, but not quite. She’s as precocious as Timothy sometimes.) But I won some movie tickets at work for my costume, made with much effort and collaboration with Janet (Thanks, Janet! And Jared made my wand, too.) This is the first year I’ve had all the elements completed (skirt, sweater, tie, scarf, robe and wand). And this is probably what I’ll be next year too. So if it looks familiar, that’s b...