Skip to main content

To the Mountains We Go!

DSC_0918

This summer we went on an overnight camping trip with the extended Lawrence clan. We went to a campground near to where we went as an extended family last year, up near Kamas. It’s hard to complain with views like these.

DSC_0909

DSC_0907

DSC_0916

It was a bit cooler, but not so cold as to make it unpleasant.

DSC_0893

DSC_0892

Some of us were more social than others. (In his defense, his partners in crime — his two Bruner cousins near his age — were on a Scout campout and weren’t there to keep him entertained.)

DSC_0889

We cooked, we ate…

DSC_0897

… we played …

DSC_0898

DSC_0901

DSC_0904

DSC_0940

DSC_0944

…we scowled at the camera …

DSC_0903

DSC_0919

… and good times were had.

DSC_0914

DSC_0922

DSC_0923

DSC_0925

DSC_0926

DSC_0938

DSC_0939

Of course, we had a fire. Ryan loved helping his dad get the kindling ready.

DSC_0928

DSC_0929

DSC_0933

Ryan loved the idea of roasting anything. He loved the concept of sticking something into the fire, even though he didn’t really eat anything that we roasted for him. He ate plenty of graham crackers, chocolate bars, Starbursts, and plain marshmallows. When we’d told him he’d had enough, he was kind of disappointed. The squirrels had been chittering up a storm, and so Jared to quell Ryan’s disappointment asked him, “Should we roast that squirrel?” Ryan was so excited. He ran over to the tree.

“Squirrel? Squirrel!” he yelled. “Come down here! I need to roast you!”

I’m still laughing about that one.

My brother-in-law brought his wizard sticks for the fire. They’re pretty cool and give neat colors.

DSC_0952

DSC_0955

The other exciting thing was the thunderstorm that rolled through around midnight or so. It was, um, rather loud. We were thankful that the rain didn’t come until our fire festivities were at their conclusion. We stayed nice and dry in our tent, but it was a different experience to hear a thunderstorm in the mountains without a house surrounding us. All in all, a fun trip. Glad we could spend time with family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Things Kids Do, Part 3

Jared got out the camera today when we went up to Grandma and Grandpa’s house for a little Easter dinner get-together. When Timothy saw the camera, he said, “Don’t take a picture of me!” “Why would I take a picture of you?” Jared asked him. “Because I’m cute.” ______ Sarah has discovered how to open and close the drawers to my dresser, and she knows that she isn’t supposed to get in them. The other day when I checked on her, she hurried over and grabbed two of my socks that were on the floor and promptly went over to my dresser where she put the socks back in and then tried to close the drawer. She came back and tried again and was successful. And I didn’t even have to say anything to her. She just saw me and went straight to the scene of the crime and tried to clean up the evidence. ______ Timothy loves to read, and so we let him read in bed before going to sleep at night. He’s only allowed to read until 8:30, which gives him about 45 minutes if he doesn’t ...

That Was Exciting

There is something terribly cute, and at the same time terribly sad, about a baby hospital gown. I now have first-hand experience with it, since Ryan spent a day in the hospital on Timothy’s birthday. (Nice timing, baby boy.) Last Sunday, I could tell that Ryan was getting sick. I had hoped, when I saw that Sarah was congested and a little ill, that Ryan wouldn’t catch it, but he did. At any rate, I wasn’t really worried because Sarah was hardly phased by it and I assumed it was just a mild virus. Well, the difference between 4 years and 4 months readily became apparent on Sunday night. Ryan slept half the night in his swing after getting really fussy about his stuffy nose. He slept comfortably once in his swing, so I didn’t really worry. On Monday, he was needy. It made working interesting, especially since he wouldn’t really play on his own. He spent a lot of time in my arms or in his swing. Monday night, I could tell that he was worse, but didn’t know that there was much I coul...

Something Scary

So this year, Timothy decided that he wanted to be “something scary” for Halloween. We threw out the various options, and he settled on a vampire. (“I don’t want to be a doctor again,” he told me, “because of all the doctor jokes I got last year.” Ooooookay.) He was quite pleased with the results, and enjoyed being scary. I chose to be Hermione from “Harry Potter.” (“Hermione’s hair is long ,” a 7-year-old girl down the street told me – as if this means I can’t be her – and I explained that I cut my hair earlier this year and it hadn’t had a chance to grow back yet. She was somewhat mollified, but not quite. She’s as precocious as Timothy sometimes.) But I won some movie tickets at work for my costume, made with much effort and collaboration with Janet (Thanks, Janet! And Jared made my wand, too.) This is the first year I’ve had all the elements completed (skirt, sweater, tie, scarf, robe and wand). And this is probably what I’ll be next year too. So if it looks familiar, that’s b...