I thought many of you would want to be aware that Joanna will be undergoing emergency surgery shortly. This is information obtained second hand, so it may include a few inaccuracies, but is correct in essentials. Joanna and Joseph can correct me later.
She went to the emergency room a couple of times complaining of headaches and blurred vision which started Sunday the 1st. The last time (Monday) they diagnosed her with psuedotumor cerebri, which is essentially a build up of CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) in the brain that mimics symptoms of a brain tumor. This is a serious condition which can cause blindness among other issues. They did an MRI and CT scan to eliminate the possibility of a tumor and then a spinal tap to confirm diagnosis of psuedotumor cerebri. The spinal tap helped alleviate the headaches and they scheduled an appointment with an ophthalmologist for the next day (Tuesday the 3rd). Normal treatment would include the use of diuretics, but as she is pregnant they did not want to use them.
The ophthalmologist determined that surgery to relieve the pressure on the optic nerve was necessary to prevent blindness and referred her to a surgeon who scheduled her for this morning (Wednesday the 4th). In reviewing the results of the MRI and CT scan, they found a blood clot in her brain, which could lead to stroke. As far as I know, the blood clot is not related to the psuedotumor cerebri but a separate condition. I believe she will have the surgery on her eyes imminently and then they will look into treating the blood clot.
Several members of our family are planning to have a fast for her and the baby tomorrow (Thursday the 5th) if any of you would like to join us. I’ll try to keep you informed as I get more news. Thanks.
Love, Janet
Comments
Post a Comment