So, in preparation for our little girl, I was digging out all of my baby stuff from Timothy to see what we had and what we could use. I found some onesies that were simple (plain white or light green), a few other clothes and some receiving blankets and other blankets. I also dug out our car seat carrier that we had saved.
I had some worries that maybe the car seat wouldn't be OK under current regulations, so I started prowling around on the Web looking for official safety rules for car seats. Alas, the car seat we saved and moved and held on to is ... too old. It was manufactured in April 2002, which makes it just beyond the "expiration" date of six years. Oh brother. So now we have to buy a new car seat carrier, and by the time she's outgrown it and needs to be in a regular car seat, we'll have to buy a new one of those as well instead of just a new booster seat for Timothy. The seat Timothy uses as a booster right now can convert back into a rear-facing car seat, but by the time Sarah is old enough to use it, it will be more than six years old as well.
I'm not as annoyed with getting a new regular car seat for when she grows out of the carrier, but Timothy was only in the carrier for six months, and since we had a longer than anticipated gap between children, it looks like he'll be the only passenger of that carrier. If I'd know that, I probably would have given it away years ago, just so someone else could use it too, and get more use out of it than I did (since I have such a tall kid already, I don't expect Sarah to be any different).
Again, oh brother. So, does anyone want to come smash a car seat and base for me?
I had some worries that maybe the car seat wouldn't be OK under current regulations, so I started prowling around on the Web looking for official safety rules for car seats. Alas, the car seat we saved and moved and held on to is ... too old. It was manufactured in April 2002, which makes it just beyond the "expiration" date of six years. Oh brother. So now we have to buy a new car seat carrier, and by the time she's outgrown it and needs to be in a regular car seat, we'll have to buy a new one of those as well instead of just a new booster seat for Timothy. The seat Timothy uses as a booster right now can convert back into a rear-facing car seat, but by the time Sarah is old enough to use it, it will be more than six years old as well.
I'm not as annoyed with getting a new regular car seat for when she grows out of the carrier, but Timothy was only in the carrier for six months, and since we had a longer than anticipated gap between children, it looks like he'll be the only passenger of that carrier. If I'd know that, I probably would have given it away years ago, just so someone else could use it too, and get more use out of it than I did (since I have such a tall kid already, I don't expect Sarah to be any different).
Again, oh brother. So, does anyone want to come smash a car seat and base for me?
I'm not sure how convinced I am that car seats "expire." I wonder how we all survived and grew to maturity before they were mandatory. Good luck with all that!
ReplyDelete