My early Christmas present this year wasn’t something that I was entirely expecting.
To make a long story short, I’ve been diagnosed by my dentist with TMJ, and its probable cause is my wayward wisdom tooth that showed up a little late.
So, in order to combat this problem, my dentist first had me use a night guard (I’m a teeth-grinder when I sleep), which resulted in a small improvement, but it didn’t stop my jaw from popping with the slightest provocation.
On to step two, which includes a different kind of splint-type appliance that I have to wear virtually all the time (I take it out when eating because I can’t chew with it in). I was fitted for it in the days just before Christmas – yes, I visited the dentist on Christmas Eve. I’ll save you from the eeew factor of actually seeing the thing, but I must admit to feeling a bit like a 12-year-old when I carry around my little case.
And no, I didn’t have a choice on the color. The upside? I now speak with a little lisp (I get to learn how to talk all over again! I’m so lucky), which invariably brings on the inquiries of “What happened to you?” by people I know.
So, doc, I’m just sayin’ this now … this had better work. Thank you.
I've been a teeth grinder all of my recollected life. I wear a night guard every night. But I don't have jaw pain. Good luck with your new appliance. Aunt Lynda
ReplyDeleteI was actually, in real life, going to ask you if you picked the color.
ReplyDeleteI've never had TMJ issues, but the acronym just sounds painful. Good luck.
I can relate.
ReplyDelete