I know it is on the same day every year, but apparently I just haven’t figured it out yet that my daughter’s birthday follows closely after the Fourth of July. This year, I can blame the new baby and I can blame the fact that most of my days blend together, so it comes as no surprise that I wasn’t prepared for Sarah to turn 4.
In a way it seems fitting, since I was unprepared for her arrival four years ago as well. (What? I’m in labor? I didn’t have to be induced? But I’m not even 40 weeks yet!)
Because of my unpreparedness, her birthday celebrations actually stretched over three days. On her actual birthday, we went to Grandma and Grandpa Wilson’s house to celebrate with my family. (We were going to do a little family party first at home, but Sarah decided to play with her lunch and mash raspberries into her dress. I cried. And then I spent 30 minutes getting her dress clean so she could wear it again. The family party was delayed.)
It was a fun gathering where I didn’t take a single photo. Brilliant. But I will say that my family knows my daughter a little too well.
I didn’t mention to my family at all that M&Ms might be a good gift. They just did it on their own. She now has quite the stash.
Because I didn’t take any photos at the party, I took a few minutes to take some shots before she went to bed. Timothy joined in and, as is often the case, went silly before Sarah was ready to smile for me.
I love my kids. I say that with no trace of irony, but maybe with a touch of exasperation at my 9-year-old. Seriously?
And here’s some of Ryan, too.
Oi! Being on my tummy is so exhausting!
On the day after her birthday, we did presents from our family. Sarah was very happy to open more presents.
I think that color will go lovely with your eyes, don’t you think?
She started to help herself when we weren’t moving fast enough for her. (Who needs pictures, anyway?)
Oh, and the one that I forgot to wrap from Grandma and Grandpa Lawrence. Oops. (Sorry, Suzanne and Richard.)
But Sarah had fun with the box packaging anyway. She loves to pop the air pockets that they use in the packages.
And then, the day after that, we had cake. (The first one I made fell apart. It wasn’t pretty.)
It’s kind of the leaning cake, but at least I could assemble it. (And yes, it is smaller than normal. I used 6-sinch rounds and cut my cake recipe in half. There are only four of us and we don’t need that much cake in our house.)
Happy birthday, Sarah!
Some things about her at age 4:
- She loves to play with Timothy (and cries when he leaves her for some time alone in his room).
- She is still shy around people she doesn’t know but is fearless around her family.
- She loves to give hugs and kisses, and she will ask to give one to you several times a day.
- She is very stubborn (potty training, anyone?).
- She loves to play outside.
- She is insecure on doing some things by herself. She is constantly wanting to hold your hand.
- She is nearly 40 pounds (83rd percentile) and 42 inches tall (91st percentile).
- She still whines. Sometimes a lot. Oi. It is something we are trying to work on. (But when she asks nicely, she pours on the sweetness. It is very cute.)
- She loves to play games on my iPhone.
- She is my girly girl. She loves to wear dresses and skirts.
- She loves to be a helper any time we let her.
- She is a sweetheart and we love her very much.
She is a sweetheart. Happy birthday, big girl Sarah!!
ReplyDeleteAnother M&M lover. Hope she enjoys the book half as much as she enjoyed the packaging - perhaps fancy wrappings are overrated. Sounds like it was a fun birthday celebration.
ReplyDelete