I like to run.
Brace yourselves. It’s another running post. Or you know, you can run away (figuratively speaking) and I won’t even know.
On March 23, Jared, Timothy and I ran in the Rex Lee Run. It is a race to raise funds for cancer research in honor of Rex Lee, a former BYU president who died of cancer. Last year, Jared was the sole participant, owing to the fact that I was hugely pregnant with Ryan, and Timothy wasn’t as interested in racing at that point.
At any rate, since I’ve taken up running again I decided to join Jared because he wanted to run it again (it is fast becoming an annual event for our family). Jared was trying to beat his time from last year; me, I just wanted to finish without falling over (I do have a less than 1-year-old baby after all).
The plan was for my parents to come down and watch the two younger kids in the stands while the three of us ran. But we woke up to snow. And more snow falling. So we modified the plans so my parents stayed with the younger two at our house (thanks again, Mom and Dad!) and the three of us headed off into the winter wonderland. I’d love to say that this was my first race in the snow, but it’s not. Hazards of running in the spring here.
Timothy, fast little punk, beat us all with a time of 27:51. Jared came in just behind him at 28:09. I didn’t even try to keep up with them, and I finished at 33:53. Timothy and Jared both took 7th in their divisions; I took 23. You can find more details on the results page; just type in our last name in the search field and you’ll find just the three of us. How convenient.
Here’s us post race. We were all freezing. We tried to stay for the raffle drawings but it was just too much. Brr.
In retrospect, I probably could have pushed a bit harder, but I was too used to races being longer than 5K. Mentally I was settling in for a much longer run. I need to run some shorter races to get more of what my pace can be for 3 miles. I have already signed up for the Freedom Run in July (another family race tradition), and will run the American Fork Half in June (which benefits cancer patients to help them pay for treatment).
Here’s to running. And running for a cure.
So cold! That is fun that you all got to do that together! You guys should check out the Superhero 5k on the 20th here in Orem, it benefits 3 local families (my brothers included). John and I are excited, this will be our first...but we definitely won't be running much..just not ready. :) www.elevateutah.com
ReplyDelete