I’ve had a month to get my head around this, and I still don’t know exactly what to say, so I guess I’ll just go ahead and say it. Get it out there. Spell it out, if you didn’t already know.
I lost my job.
I’ve had my job at the newspaper since I was an intern, straight out of college. That was in 2002, if you wanted to know, when the Olympics were here. They hired me after my internship, and I was grateful for a job. I was graduating from college, losing my student health insurance, and pregnant with Timothy. So, yes, it was a blessing, and one that I was keenly aware of.
Over the years, I’ve worked with some crazy, talented, passionate people, who are all in the newspaper business because they love it (it certainly isn’t because of the pay). I’ve met some people who made me want to tear out my hair in frustration, and met others who I will genuinely miss every single day. In fact, I already do, and I’ve only been out of a job since Friday.
I stared out as the lowly copy editor on the News Desk, and over the past 11 years and three kids, have graduated to an award-winning lead designer for the features desk. I loved my job. It was fun, hard, challenging, demanding and very, very creative. It was also rewarding and neat and … unique. The nature of my somewhat anonymous job is that people didn’t notice what I did unless I made a mistake (and believe me, I’ve made a few), but my co-workers would often let me know when I did something that caught their eye. And if they noticed, others did too, even if they didn’t say anything.
I’ve also won several awards, some of which I’ve blogged about (like this one and this one). Other pages, I’ve just done and loved, and then moved on in the world of a daily newspaper.
But I’ll miss it.
The paper needed to make some changes, and unfortunately, those changes didn’t include me. It was one of the hardest decisions I’ve made in my life. I wanted to stay, I wanted to make it work, but it just wasn’t going to.
And so I had to leave.
I know this is the right decision for me and for my family. It is time for me to say goodbye to those crazy, passionate people, and be grateful for Facebook so that I can keep in touch with them.
So I leave an empty desk and a hole in my heart. I will always love the newspaper, and I will always love a good design. Now, it will be my turn to make an impact somewhere else.
Here’s a small sampling of some of the pages I’ve done over the last three years. (I need to find out what I did with my earlier works.) If you’re interested in seeing more, feel free to visit my online portfolio.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
You've done some really nice work Mary.
ReplyDelete