Skip to main content

This One's for Marge

I like setting goals for myself, and one of the goals I had for myself post-baby was to get back in running shape so that I could run a half marathon. I laugh and tell people that I’m only half crazy, because I only run 13.1 miles instead of 26.2.

In mid-June, I ran the American Fork Half Marathon, a race that is focused on helping people who have been diagnosed with cancer. All of the race entry fees go toward helping people with cancer to pay for their treatments. Cancer affects so many people, and it was neat to see the stories and courage people have.

Marge Yearbook

I chose to run in memory of my grandmother, Marge. She was diagnosed in 1990 with breast cancer and after chemo and surgery, it went into remission for about 6 years. She said she would never do chemo again, and so in late 1995 when she found out it had returned, she opted not to try any treatments, despite her doctor’s willingness to try. She never complained of great pain, although my mom and her sisters were sure it had spread to her bones before the end. Grandma Marge died on January 20, 1996.

zazoosh_990206544-1800

zazoosh_990206546-1800

I ran my sixth half on June 15. I finished with a time of 2:17:51.7, which was a new personal record for me. I felt great for most of the race, but hit a wall around mile 11 or so. It was really tough, but I’m happy with my run. I ran a 10:31 minute average pace, and I placed 1,455 overall (out of 1,876 runners), 889 in my gender (out of 1,203) and 229 (out of 279) in my age division. They had a mid-race mark coming out of the canyon at mile 7.5 and my split there was 1:17:43 (a 10:32 minute mile). I was 1:06:43 back from the women’s leader, who finished in 1:11:07. If you want to dig into more results, you can find them here.

IMG_1359

Yeah, I’m never going to be that fast, and I’m good with that.

I’ve also never been so sore in my life. I was limping around the day after the race (happy Father’s Day, Jared!) and my sweet husband willingly picked up my slack because I was so stiff and sore. Stairs were particularly bad for me; apparently I didn’t train enough in the canyon to prep me for the downhill route of this half marathon. Oops.

But even with the soreness, I would definitely run this half again; it’s for a great cause. I was really moved during this race at all the placards they had on the side of the road that had quotes and other things about cancer. I loved seeing all the little “running in memory of” bibs on other runners. Such a great cause, and such a great course. The race also had stunning views down the canyon.

This was my silly pose for the cameras. I’m not sure what I was going for, but I certainly look … odd.

zazoosh_990206535-1800

I’ve also learned that I look funny when I’m running. Not the smooth, elegant form that I think I look like, but … weird. Oh well. (There are more on our Flickr page if you want to peruse my weirdness.) However, I do like this photo of me pushing it to cross the finish line.

zazoosh_990206542-1800

And here’s me, post race, still standing and still alive.

DSC_9204

Jared actually missed me finishing because I told him when to come and then beat him to the finish line by setting my PR. Oops. (But only sort of.) I’m glad they came, if only to see that I made it.

DSC_9202

I loved the race. It quite possibly has become the favorite of the other half marathons that I’ve done. Great race. Great cause. And hopefully, Marge would approve.

Comments

  1. Congrats! You crazy running girl. Sounds like a worthy cause all right!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Things Kids Do, Part 3

Jared got out the camera today when we went up to Grandma and Grandpa’s house for a little Easter dinner get-together. When Timothy saw the camera, he said, “Don’t take a picture of me!” “Why would I take a picture of you?” Jared asked him. “Because I’m cute.” ______ Sarah has discovered how to open and close the drawers to my dresser, and she knows that she isn’t supposed to get in them. The other day when I checked on her, she hurried over and grabbed two of my socks that were on the floor and promptly went over to my dresser where she put the socks back in and then tried to close the drawer. She came back and tried again and was successful. And I didn’t even have to say anything to her. She just saw me and went straight to the scene of the crime and tried to clean up the evidence. ______ Timothy loves to read, and so we let him read in bed before going to sleep at night. He’s only allowed to read until 8:30, which gives him about 45 minutes if he doesn’t ...

That Was Exciting

There is something terribly cute, and at the same time terribly sad, about a baby hospital gown. I now have first-hand experience with it, since Ryan spent a day in the hospital on Timothy’s birthday. (Nice timing, baby boy.) Last Sunday, I could tell that Ryan was getting sick. I had hoped, when I saw that Sarah was congested and a little ill, that Ryan wouldn’t catch it, but he did. At any rate, I wasn’t really worried because Sarah was hardly phased by it and I assumed it was just a mild virus. Well, the difference between 4 years and 4 months readily became apparent on Sunday night. Ryan slept half the night in his swing after getting really fussy about his stuffy nose. He slept comfortably once in his swing, so I didn’t really worry. On Monday, he was needy. It made working interesting, especially since he wouldn’t really play on his own. He spent a lot of time in my arms or in his swing. Monday night, I could tell that he was worse, but didn’t know that there was much I coul...

Something Scary

So this year, Timothy decided that he wanted to be “something scary” for Halloween. We threw out the various options, and he settled on a vampire. (“I don’t want to be a doctor again,” he told me, “because of all the doctor jokes I got last year.” Ooooookay.) He was quite pleased with the results, and enjoyed being scary. I chose to be Hermione from “Harry Potter.” (“Hermione’s hair is long ,” a 7-year-old girl down the street told me – as if this means I can’t be her – and I explained that I cut my hair earlier this year and it hadn’t had a chance to grow back yet. She was somewhat mollified, but not quite. She’s as precocious as Timothy sometimes.) But I won some movie tickets at work for my costume, made with much effort and collaboration with Janet (Thanks, Janet! And Jared made my wand, too.) This is the first year I’ve had all the elements completed (skirt, sweater, tie, scarf, robe and wand). And this is probably what I’ll be next year too. So if it looks familiar, that’s b...