So, here’s the story of Goldilocks.
It started with an invitation on Facebook in March from a friend and former co-worker to be on her team. I took a look, figuratively shrugged my shoulders, asked Jared, and said sure.
And that’s where I found myself signed up for a 40-mile bike ride. Jared must have thought I was a little crazy, but I wanted a new challenge, and my husband supported me.
After some encouragement from another friend, instead of trying to ride it on my mountain bike, I found a used road bike that was just right, as Goldilocks would say. (Ironically, I purchased it from a man; most used bikes by women I found were too small. Thank you, 36-inch inseam.)
I had a bike, now I had to learn how to use it. Eventually I figured it out, and I only had to learn how to use my clip in shoes. I will admit, I fell over. A few times. And Jared was very annoyed to see my scrapes and bruises from my falls. So, by no means am I an expert.
May 10 rolled around. And of course, the weekend before was sunny, bright and lovely. May 10 was windy, rainy (and hailing, although I never saw it) and cold. Here’s most of our team, pre-race. Some of us rode 60 miles, some 40 and some 20.
I rode 40 miles and I survived. With a smile!
And here I am at the finish line.
I finished with a time of 2:44:24. I’m not sure where that puts me overall, as the site doesn’t allow for those kind of results. I rode a lot of the course alone, especially near the end. Since this was my first road race, I just tried to push myself as much as I could. There were several spots where it was a “just keep peddling” kind of mentality. But it was still fun, and I am pleased with myself for what I was able to accomplish.
This 40-mile race was perfect for an introduction to me. I really like this new sport of road biking. I think I may want to try for a century this year.
Anyone want to join me? I’ll even be on your team.







I am so impressed. A wonderful accomplishment. Afraid I only do exercycle - but have 110,000 miles
ReplyDelete