It was bound to happen with all of the family members having babies. Timothy has previously asked how babies get out of mommy's tummies, and other questions about pregnancy. A couple of weeks ago he asked the big question.
"Daddy, how do babies get into tummies?" I wasn't sure how to answer that question so I told him that we would talk about it later. When he overheard me telling Marydalene that he had asked where babies come from he commented, "It's magic to me."
So I still have to explain to Timothy how babies get into tummies. Any suggestions?
I think magic is a pretty good explanation until kids are quite a bit older. I get tired of the world insisting that kids carry the burdens of grownups before they should need to. I keep remembering the the incident from "The Hiding Place" where the author asked her father a similar question and he told her to carry his briefcase, which she couldn't easily do. He told her there were some things that were just too heavy to carry until you get older. Or maybe I'm not remembering it correctly--but I remember hearing that sometimes very simple answers are satisfying to kids who have no idea what they are asking. Good luck!!
ReplyDelete