Skip to main content

So, That's Weird

As you can see above, my car is OK.

I'm a bit late writing about it, but a while back I was tooling down the freeway on my way to work when suddenly my accelerator quit working.  The engine was still idling but no response to mashing on the accelerator.  That seemed a bit weird.  I pulled to the shoulder and stopped.  I stepped on the accelerator a couple of times and got a feeble response from the engine, but not a rev.  So I turned off the car and lifted the hood to see if I could find anything wrong.  Boy howdy, did I find something wrong.  The upper radiator hose had become disconnected from the radiator and there was coolant all over the engine compartment.  At this point I was wondering how much a new engine cost because running an engine without coolant is not a good thing.

I called home for a ride and Marydalene called the mechanic who set up a tow for us.  Luckily Mom and Dad were still here at the time, and they brought our other car which I continued on my journey with.

While I was waiting on the side of the freeway a Highway Patrolman pulled up and, after ascertaining that I was not going to just leave my car on the shoulder marked it with the OK so that other Patrolmen would not have to stop to check me out as well.

We really need my car because it is the only car that both the car seat and Timothy's booster fit into.  I was thinking most of that day about what kind of car I wanted to buy if the engine repairs were more than the car was worth.

To keep a long story from getting too much longer I'll sum up.  The mechanic reattached the radiator hose and filled it with coolant and could find no problems with the engine. Huzzah!  He was quite flummoxed.  He did find some other things that needed repair (of course) so we had them fix those things.  He was actually bothered by not understanding why my car quite responding to the accelerator enough to write a note to himself to call me to see how the car was doing.

The mechanic came up with some possibility to explain the accelerator not working, but I choose to believe that Heavenly Father was keeping me from continuing to push the engine without coolant so that we would have a car that could handle our new and improved family.

Comments

  1. It did all work out rather "conveniently" didn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! I'm glad things worked out well for you, and your car was repairable. Aunt Lynda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Things Kids Do, Part 3

Jared got out the camera today when we went up to Grandma and Grandpa’s house for a little Easter dinner get-together. When Timothy saw the camera, he said, “Don’t take a picture of me!” “Why would I take a picture of you?” Jared asked him. “Because I’m cute.” ______ Sarah has discovered how to open and close the drawers to my dresser, and she knows that she isn’t supposed to get in them. The other day when I checked on her, she hurried over and grabbed two of my socks that were on the floor and promptly went over to my dresser where she put the socks back in and then tried to close the drawer. She came back and tried again and was successful. And I didn’t even have to say anything to her. She just saw me and went straight to the scene of the crime and tried to clean up the evidence. ______ Timothy loves to read, and so we let him read in bed before going to sleep at night. He’s only allowed to read until 8:30, which gives him about 45 minutes if he doesn’t ...

That Was Exciting

There is something terribly cute, and at the same time terribly sad, about a baby hospital gown. I now have first-hand experience with it, since Ryan spent a day in the hospital on Timothy’s birthday. (Nice timing, baby boy.) Last Sunday, I could tell that Ryan was getting sick. I had hoped, when I saw that Sarah was congested and a little ill, that Ryan wouldn’t catch it, but he did. At any rate, I wasn’t really worried because Sarah was hardly phased by it and I assumed it was just a mild virus. Well, the difference between 4 years and 4 months readily became apparent on Sunday night. Ryan slept half the night in his swing after getting really fussy about his stuffy nose. He slept comfortably once in his swing, so I didn’t really worry. On Monday, he was needy. It made working interesting, especially since he wouldn’t really play on his own. He spent a lot of time in my arms or in his swing. Monday night, I could tell that he was worse, but didn’t know that there was much I coul...

Something Scary

So this year, Timothy decided that he wanted to be “something scary” for Halloween. We threw out the various options, and he settled on a vampire. (“I don’t want to be a doctor again,” he told me, “because of all the doctor jokes I got last year.” Ooooookay.) He was quite pleased with the results, and enjoyed being scary. I chose to be Hermione from “Harry Potter.” (“Hermione’s hair is long ,” a 7-year-old girl down the street told me – as if this means I can’t be her – and I explained that I cut my hair earlier this year and it hadn’t had a chance to grow back yet. She was somewhat mollified, but not quite. She’s as precocious as Timothy sometimes.) But I won some movie tickets at work for my costume, made with much effort and collaboration with Janet (Thanks, Janet! And Jared made my wand, too.) This is the first year I’ve had all the elements completed (skirt, sweater, tie, scarf, robe and wand). And this is probably what I’ll be next year too. So if it looks familiar, that’s b...