Skip to main content

Was There Ever Any Doubt?

I love being right. I just wish I didn't have to go to such lengths to prove it. But, still, there is some vindication in saying "I told you so," even if you never say it out loud.

Timothy is a very bright kid. If you've spent any amount of time around him, you'll realize that he's pretty clever and smart. You also know that his birthday falls after the deadline of Sept. 1 for school. So he's almost 6 and couldn't go to kindergarten last year because of state law (you have to be 5 by Sept. 1). But there is a little reprieve in that you can test into first grade. Jared and I have been working to get Timothy tested so that he would actually learn something this year instead of just being bored all year long in kindergarten.

He had his kindergarten assessment on Tuesday. I had to sit in the hall during it, but I heard several, "Aren't you smart?" and other similar comments by the kindergarten teacher. After the testing, she immediately encouraged me to make sure that he got into first grade -- he didn't belong in kindergarten ("Yep, I know," I thought).

Today, we met with the school psychologist who administered some more tests (academic, cognitive and social) to evaluate him. There are some preset school district standards that have to be met in order to even consider advance placement. Those tests took about 90 minutes and after a brief lunch break, I met with the principal and the psychologist to discuss the results.

What can I say? My kid's a smartie. His IQ level is about 122 (the average is 100). He's reading on a level that would be expected in the middle of second grade (not first). In fact, most of his academic skills are on the level of about a second-grader.

And they wonder why I didn't want him in kindergarten.

The main concern about advancing him would be that he would be the youngest in his class (rather than one of the oldest) and that social difference when he gets a bit older. I'm not that worried about it, since I did it myself and so did Jared (we both are summer babies). The other concern would be athletics, but there again, I'm not too fussed. I have a 5-year-old who's nearly 49 inches tall. He's not going to be short, so I bet most people won't even know he's younger than they are. So, with everyone's consent, we've added Timothy to Mrs. Greene's first grade class. He starts Monday.

Sorry for such the long post, but it's so nice to be right. I feel like Uncle Vernon in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" where he says (ice cream spoon raised for emphasis), "Justice!" Indeed.

Comments

  1. Never any doubt for me. That's a great picture of Timothy. It really captures his personality. I like your Harry Potter reference, too. Has school actually started there? Our kids start on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great posting! I enjoyed reading it and I agree that you are absolutely justified in the "I told you so" attitude. I also agree with Janet...nice Harry Potter reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those "I told you soes" can be sooo gratifying. Glad the decision has been made and action taken relatively quickly. Timothy should enjoy first grade - and Mrs. Greene should enjoy him. I look forward to hearing about his adventures.

    It is a great picture of Timothy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VINDICATION!!! I am glad they saw the light. I agree - great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I would say "I told you so" as well. I talked to Jared some time ago about doing something so that Timothy could go to first grade this year instead of kindergarten. I'm so glad the school district cooperated and recognized the need to move him along. He may even be bored in first grade, but at least there will be things he can do. Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad they got him into first grade, because Timothy is very smart. Renae is a great teacher! It is very unfortunate to have had to do all that testing, but laws are laws in the public school system now. I had to do it with a student 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Things Kids Do, Part 3

Jared got out the camera today when we went up to Grandma and Grandpa’s house for a little Easter dinner get-together. When Timothy saw the camera, he said, “Don’t take a picture of me!” “Why would I take a picture of you?” Jared asked him. “Because I’m cute.” ______ Sarah has discovered how to open and close the drawers to my dresser, and she knows that she isn’t supposed to get in them. The other day when I checked on her, she hurried over and grabbed two of my socks that were on the floor and promptly went over to my dresser where she put the socks back in and then tried to close the drawer. She came back and tried again and was successful. And I didn’t even have to say anything to her. She just saw me and went straight to the scene of the crime and tried to clean up the evidence. ______ Timothy loves to read, and so we let him read in bed before going to sleep at night. He’s only allowed to read until 8:30, which gives him about 45 minutes if he doesn’t ...

That Was Exciting

There is something terribly cute, and at the same time terribly sad, about a baby hospital gown. I now have first-hand experience with it, since Ryan spent a day in the hospital on Timothy’s birthday. (Nice timing, baby boy.) Last Sunday, I could tell that Ryan was getting sick. I had hoped, when I saw that Sarah was congested and a little ill, that Ryan wouldn’t catch it, but he did. At any rate, I wasn’t really worried because Sarah was hardly phased by it and I assumed it was just a mild virus. Well, the difference between 4 years and 4 months readily became apparent on Sunday night. Ryan slept half the night in his swing after getting really fussy about his stuffy nose. He slept comfortably once in his swing, so I didn’t really worry. On Monday, he was needy. It made working interesting, especially since he wouldn’t really play on his own. He spent a lot of time in my arms or in his swing. Monday night, I could tell that he was worse, but didn’t know that there was much I coul...

Something Scary

So this year, Timothy decided that he wanted to be “something scary” for Halloween. We threw out the various options, and he settled on a vampire. (“I don’t want to be a doctor again,” he told me, “because of all the doctor jokes I got last year.” Ooooookay.) He was quite pleased with the results, and enjoyed being scary. I chose to be Hermione from “Harry Potter.” (“Hermione’s hair is long ,” a 7-year-old girl down the street told me – as if this means I can’t be her – and I explained that I cut my hair earlier this year and it hadn’t had a chance to grow back yet. She was somewhat mollified, but not quite. She’s as precocious as Timothy sometimes.) But I won some movie tickets at work for my costume, made with much effort and collaboration with Janet (Thanks, Janet! And Jared made my wand, too.) This is the first year I’ve had all the elements completed (skirt, sweater, tie, scarf, robe and wand). And this is probably what I’ll be next year too. So if it looks familiar, that’s b...