You may recall that I taught myself how to make a Raspberry Cream Cheese Pie (very similar to the one they make at Kneaders Bakery and Cafe).
Well, I found myself with only one carton of raspberries (I made Raspberry Crumb Muffins with the other carton – also very good). The one thing I had wanted was less of a traditional pie crust and something more tart-like. So I decided to try and find a different crust recipe, and then used my mini pie tins and make smaller, single-size versions.
Mmmm. I really like this new crust. And it’s pretty simple, too. At first I was unhappy and dissatisfied with it because it puffed up in the middle and I worried that it wouldn’t work for the filling, but once filled, it was tasty and just right.
From AllRecipes.com:
Tart Crust
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
Mix in stand mixer until combined, which will take a while, but keep mixing. (It says to chill the recipe for an hour and then shape it, but I found it only made it harder to press and shape.) Bake in 375 degree oven for 7-10 minutes until golden brown. Cool.
Then I used a half-recipe of my filling and a half-recipe of the raspberry topping. It made 8 mini pies.
So, to avoid it puffing up in the middle you could fill it with dry beans so that it is weighted down and it should help with that. Then you just dump the beans out after it's done baking. That looks so good!
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought of that idea; thank you! What I did the second time was to prick the shell a few times with a fork, but it only sort of worked. The beans sound like a great way to keep the center down.
ReplyDeleteYUM!
ReplyDelete