I have three very empathetic children. Not sure how, we just make them that way. It has its positive sides, but every now and then it can be a bit of a hassle.
My empathetic daughter really struggles sometimes when Ryan is crying or fussing. She’s getting better about it, but sometimes it is just too much for her. When he cries, she cries. Or, more accurately, she starts to whine-cry. Since I can’t handle two kids crying at once, and since Ryan’s needs are often more immediate than Sarah’s, I tell Sarah to go to her room if she can’t be happy. This often elicits even more crying on her end. (She’s 4. I’m sure if you’ve ever had a 4-year-old you know this kind of crying. The overly loud, I’m so picked on, why on earth are you making me do this kind of cry. Think a 2-year-old tantrum on steroids and with more words.)
On this particular day, she was raging and storming for far longer than I had anticipated. I got Ryan calmed down way before she was calm, but she knows she isn’t allowed out of her room if she is still whining and crying. When things got quiet, I just assumed she was playing with some of her toys in her room. I went to check on her and found her asleep in her bed. I was kind of shocked, to be honest, but I just left her because I figured a little nap certainly wouldn’t hurt her.
I went to check on her an hour or so later and found her like this:
My parents will get a kick out of this photo. I slept on the bottom of a bunk bed for years and was not ever allowed to sleep on the top bunk for this very reason: I would fall out of bed and not wake up.
And that, my friends, is why I don’t put my toddlers in a bed frame until they learn how to not fall off their beds. (I’m not a fan of the railings. My kids would find a way to hurt themselves on them. Her mattress is directly on the floor. When she learns not to fall off, we have her bed frame waiting for her.)
And yes, she loves her Rapunzel-themed sheets and comforter. She’s my girly girl. And she is so cute sometimes.
She drew a drawing on her chalkboard the other day and wanted a picture of it to remember. She posed quite willingly for Jared and he caught a little smile.
And that, my friends, is why I will love my daughter forever.
Comments
Post a Comment