Remember how we’re crazy people? Well, if you’ve forgotten, look here or here or here for reminders.
This time it was for the Fourth of July. The annual Freedom Festival hosts a very popular 5K (and 10K, which I ran 2 years ago) and 1 mile kids run. We’ve had some history with this race, and it’s fast becoming a family favorite and a family tradition.
This year, Timothy, Jared and I all ran the 5K together. My sister was in town and graciously consented to watch the two youngest at home (i.e. letting them sleep) while we went to the race. It’s a crazy crowded event, but I guess that’s part of its charm.
Jared was the top finisher in our trio, finishing with a time of 25:33.8. That put him 330 (out of 3,037 total runners) and 24 (out of 139) in his division. Timothy finished at 29:40.5, putting him in 739 overall, and 34 (out of 145) in his division. I rounded out our group at 30:45.2, 895 overall and 45 (out of 214) in my division. If you want to see more results, you can find them on the race results page.
I was the only one to set a personal record (my previous was 31:04). Jared just missed his (he’s still annoyed by it, and also still very sore from pushing so hard to try to beat it) and Timothy has been sick and wasn’t as ready for this race as he could have been. (Yeah, I’m slow. I’m also OK with it. It’ll be a miracle if I can beat Timothy at a 5K. I have no chance with Jared.)
What can I say? We like to run. And I love that we live in a country where we have the freedom to do just that. What an awesome place to live.
We rounded off the day with a round of swimming with Grandma Judy and some cousins and then a barbecue with the rest of the extended family. Sarah freaked out (again) with the fireworks, but loved playing with my sister’s dog.
Happy Fourth of July!
Comments
Post a Comment