...Baby.
We had our ultrasound on Thursday, and with me being 18 weeks, we thought we'd be able to tell what the gender of our little one would be. Alas, he/she did not cooperate. The doctor didn't even get to see all that he wanted to see on his checklist. The only definitive thing we walked away with is that we just have a single baby, not twins as was an initial concern. (Twins run in my family and the medication I was on can cause multiple births. And as this was not my first baby, that also increases the chances of a multiple birth.) But there is only one, which is both a relief and kind of a sadness. Because this baby will be so much younger than Timothy, I almost wanted twins so that they wouldn't be "alone." But I don't want twins so much that I'm sad that there's only one. Twins are a lot of work.
Because the doctor didn't get to see all that he wanted to, it is likely that I will have another ultrasound in the near future. Whether it be my next appointment (in March) or at a later one, I don't know. But he'll also likely do another one to check the size of the baby. He's already pushed my due date back once and this ultrasound also was on track for the later date (even a couple of days later than the pushed-back date). Hopefully we'll be able to see what this shy baby is at that time. But for now, it's just a baby.
We had our ultrasound on Thursday, and with me being 18 weeks, we thought we'd be able to tell what the gender of our little one would be. Alas, he/she did not cooperate. The doctor didn't even get to see all that he wanted to see on his checklist. The only definitive thing we walked away with is that we just have a single baby, not twins as was an initial concern. (Twins run in my family and the medication I was on can cause multiple births. And as this was not my first baby, that also increases the chances of a multiple birth.) But there is only one, which is both a relief and kind of a sadness. Because this baby will be so much younger than Timothy, I almost wanted twins so that they wouldn't be "alone." But I don't want twins so much that I'm sad that there's only one. Twins are a lot of work.
Because the doctor didn't get to see all that he wanted to, it is likely that I will have another ultrasound in the near future. Whether it be my next appointment (in March) or at a later one, I don't know. But he'll also likely do another one to check the size of the baby. He's already pushed my due date back once and this ultrasound also was on track for the later date (even a couple of days later than the pushed-back date). Hopefully we'll be able to see what this shy baby is at that time. But for now, it's just a baby.
How fun! Sorry that you didn't get to tell about the gender, I would be SO frustrated. I had to have several ultrasounds with Lizzy because I of her size and I had them check the gender each time, just to make she didn't change on me.
ReplyDeleteI've always felt that way about the possibility of twins--exciting to think about and scarey to consider. I'll be watching for the update. Thanks for posting. I really enjoy the blogs as a way to stay connected. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteAfter telling the story at work someone told me about when they were pregnant and the first ultrasound revealed a girl. During a subsequent ultrasound the tech kept referring to the baby as "he." The mom said, "You mean she, right?" The tech said, "No, I mean he." Shocker, huh?
ReplyDeleteBummer! Hopefully you'll get another ultrasound when the baby isn't feeling so shy.
ReplyDelete