I got clued into the Foundation series from an article by Orson Scott Card. He listed it as one of his ReBooks, meaning that it was a book that he would re-read on a regular basis. I figured that if it was a good enough series for an author I appreciate to read more than once, then it was probably worth looking into. So far, I have not been disappointed. I believe the first book was written in the '50s. Some of Asimov's glimpses into the future have proven to be a bit silly, but most of the story is still relevant. I'm not going to turn this into a full on book review, but I do find Asimov's style interesting and the narrative is enjoyable. I've generally avoided sci-fi, but found this series to be highly readable. Although there is minimal character development, there is significant idea development. In fact the first book, Foundation, is actually a collection of short stories, each set generations apart. Characters only carry over from one short story to the next as figures in history. I found it an intriguing way to show the development of an idea in a society over a long period of time.
I don't like using a star scale, or a one-to-ten meter so, like Ebert & Roeper using a thumbs up or thumbs down, I'll simply say that for me the series so far rates a Worth It.
Must be some good reading. Although historical fiction is my thing - sounds like I might actually enjoy the first book in spite of my dislike for sci fi.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good read, Jared. It was fun to see you guys last weekend. I admire your efforts to keep your blog up--it is soooo boring to keep checking and never anything new. I'm lecturing to myself, and yet I am not likely to do anything about it any time soon.
ReplyDelete