Fair warning, the topic of this blog will be fairly disgusting, so if you're of the faint-of-heart persuasion, I suggest you pass.
On Oct. 8, a Thursday afternoon, Sarah was being kind of cranky and needy, which are usual signs of a tired baby. So I held her close and rocked her in the chair like usual, with her pink blanket wrapped around her so she could be all snuggly and warm. After 25 minutes, I'd reached my quota of allotted time and needed to get dinner started. So I put a wide-awake Sarah in her crib and went to get dinner ready.
About 30 mintues later, when I was in the middle of preparing dinner, I hear Sarah start to cry. This is fairly common when she doesn't want to sleep, and so I ignored her, thinking she'd go to sleep on her own. I got dinner in the oven and went to finish helping Timothy clean up his room, still ignoring the baby crying. My mistake.
Jared came home and went to check on the girl and came in with a baby covered in poop. Her crying, it seems, had a purpose. At first I thought it was just contained to her and poop up the back. I was mistaken.
It became even more worse than I'd imagined when I realized that she had poop smeared across her face and her hands. She went straight into the tub.
It was as I was spraying every item that was in her crib at the time of the accident (bumper, sheet, blanket, blanket and clothes) and putting them in the washing machine that I was wishing I had a washable crib. Sarah got poop all over the crib itself, making it necessary for me to spray and clean every one of her bars and areas that she could reach with 409. It'd be nice if they made a crib that I could just toss into the washing machine and dryer.
But what I feel the worst about was me ignoring her for 20 minutes. If I'd only known ... I feel horrible, even though after her bath she happily ate Cheerios and seems no worse for the wear. I'm so sorry, baby girl.
(Oh, and I burned dinner, too.)
Through the whole experience, however, I kept thinking of Hermione from "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" after she sees Ron and Lavender together:
"Excuse me, I have to go and vomit."
These horrible things happen! I agree - a machine washable crib would be wonderful.
ReplyDeleteYa, I could tell a few stories of my own, but I'll resist. You have to have a strong stomach to raise kids. All's well that ends well, and you just have to suck it up and move on. Aunt Lynda
ReplyDeleteI knew I had become a "real mom" when I could put a plate in front of Jeremiah as he threw up while eating dinner, wipe him up, wash my hands, and then continue eating my own meal. Poop all over a crib, that would be a new one at this house...and one I'd just as well keep to your list of parenting experiences.
ReplyDeleteI've experienced poop. and vomit. and blood. yuck.
ReplyDeleteI've experienced poop. and vomit. and blood. yuck.
ReplyDeleteOne of those sensory experiences we hope they neglect.
ReplyDelete