Skip to main content

Is This Thing On?

Timothy came down with a fever on Saturday. We gave him some Tylenol and that seemed to keep it in check.

That night, Marydalene looked in on Timothy as she was going to bed and discovered that he felt rather warm. She got out the thermometer to take his temperature, which got my attention and I wandered in to see what was going on. We had the thermometer in his mouth for a while when Marydalene started wondering if it was working. We turned on the light to see what was going on and saw that it was working, but was taking so long because it had to climb so high. It finally stopped at 104.8, which got us quite concerned. We gave him some more medicine and changed him to less warm pajamas and etc., and within an hour his temperature had gone down about a degree.

In the meantime I discovered that there aren't very many stores open on a late Saturday night, early Sunday morning. Especially stores that would sell children's Tylenol. We knew we wouldn't have enough medicine to last through Sunday, so I kept looking and wound up at Wal-Mart. Let me tell you, it's an interesting mix of people at Wal-Mart after midnight on a Saturday around here.

We got Timothy back to sleep and set an alarm for four hours so that we could give him another dose. When the alarm woke me up I was surprised to see that Marydalene was not in bed. I went to Timothy's room and found her there. Apparently after hearing me hit the snooze button twice, Marydalene asked me if she should get up and get Timothy his medicine. I didn't respond so she went ahead and did it. I guess hitting the snooze button is something I've practiced so much that I really can do it in my sleep.

Timothy has been on medicine all day today and it has kept his fever down to around 100. When he found out that he wasn't going to church today he assured us that he would be better by Tuesday so that he could go to school. I wonder if/when that will turn around.

It was a bit scary to see 104.8 on the thermometer, but it looks like he'll be alright.

Comments

  1. Poor Timothy! I guess we never will know why kids always get sick, cars always develop problems, plumbing backs up, things break, etc. etc on weekends. I hope he's feeling better soon. There is a lot of "stuff" going around this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Things Kids Do, Part 3

Jared got out the camera today when we went up to Grandma and Grandpa’s house for a little Easter dinner get-together. When Timothy saw the camera, he said, “Don’t take a picture of me!” “Why would I take a picture of you?” Jared asked him. “Because I’m cute.” ______ Sarah has discovered how to open and close the drawers to my dresser, and she knows that she isn’t supposed to get in them. The other day when I checked on her, she hurried over and grabbed two of my socks that were on the floor and promptly went over to my dresser where she put the socks back in and then tried to close the drawer. She came back and tried again and was successful. And I didn’t even have to say anything to her. She just saw me and went straight to the scene of the crime and tried to clean up the evidence. ______ Timothy loves to read, and so we let him read in bed before going to sleep at night. He’s only allowed to read until 8:30, which gives him about 45 minutes if he doesn’t ...

That Was Exciting

There is something terribly cute, and at the same time terribly sad, about a baby hospital gown. I now have first-hand experience with it, since Ryan spent a day in the hospital on Timothy’s birthday. (Nice timing, baby boy.) Last Sunday, I could tell that Ryan was getting sick. I had hoped, when I saw that Sarah was congested and a little ill, that Ryan wouldn’t catch it, but he did. At any rate, I wasn’t really worried because Sarah was hardly phased by it and I assumed it was just a mild virus. Well, the difference between 4 years and 4 months readily became apparent on Sunday night. Ryan slept half the night in his swing after getting really fussy about his stuffy nose. He slept comfortably once in his swing, so I didn’t really worry. On Monday, he was needy. It made working interesting, especially since he wouldn’t really play on his own. He spent a lot of time in my arms or in his swing. Monday night, I could tell that he was worse, but didn’t know that there was much I coul...

Something Scary

So this year, Timothy decided that he wanted to be “something scary” for Halloween. We threw out the various options, and he settled on a vampire. (“I don’t want to be a doctor again,” he told me, “because of all the doctor jokes I got last year.” Ooooookay.) He was quite pleased with the results, and enjoyed being scary. I chose to be Hermione from “Harry Potter.” (“Hermione’s hair is long ,” a 7-year-old girl down the street told me – as if this means I can’t be her – and I explained that I cut my hair earlier this year and it hadn’t had a chance to grow back yet. She was somewhat mollified, but not quite. She’s as precocious as Timothy sometimes.) But I won some movie tickets at work for my costume, made with much effort and collaboration with Janet (Thanks, Janet! And Jared made my wand, too.) This is the first year I’ve had all the elements completed (skirt, sweater, tie, scarf, robe and wand). And this is probably what I’ll be next year too. So if it looks familiar, that’s b...