We have always known that birds love our big fir tree in our front yard. They chirp up quite the racket sometimes. We also know that quails live in the area; we’ve seen quite a few in our yard, but never thought anything of it until one day we spotted this.
If you don’t know, those are baby quail. I took this picture on June 6, when they were about 2 inches tall, give or take. (And boy, are they FAST, even when they are little. I took these pictures from our front window, and when I went outside to see if I could get some better ones from afar, they had scooted around the house before I’d even set foot on the porch.)
There are 8 of the babies in this picture. Can you find them all? (And the fact that grass can be taller than them shows how small they are when they first hatch.)
The kids have been quite possessive of our little quail family. It’s amazing how fast they grow. Already, just a little over two months later, they are almost the same size as their parents. I’m glad my kids won’t fly from the nest as quickly.



Comments
Post a Comment